This WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Zoom course is an interactive way to learn the basics of wine with Jane Clare of One Foot in the Grapes … and you’ll work towards a qualification too!
The course is suitable for both wine enthusiasts and people in the hospitality industry wanting to enhance their skills.
Jane Clare (pictured) of One Foot in the Grapes (OFITG) will deliver the WSET Level 1 – Online Zoom course in real time. You’ll be able to ask questions and interact with fellow students; and hopefully have fun as you immerse yourself in the world of wine for the first time.
- In advance of the course, you’ll receive a Level 1 guide
- OFITG will send an “experiments” pack which, throughout the course, will help you understand tannin, sweetness, acidity and bitterness.
- You don’t need to taste wine to study this course, or to be able to pass the exam. However there are recommended styles of wine we will taste over the four weeks. You would source the wines.
- For some of the sessions it would help if you buy simple foods including grapes, salt, lemon, sweet biscuits, chilli-flavoured snacks, and a full-flavoured fatty food such as cheese.
- The online Zoom course takes place over four consecutive weeks in around two-hour weekday evening sessions, from 7pm.
- The multiple-choice exam will take place online on a date agreed in advance of the course.
- Here’s a short video explaining how online exams work.
- Classroom exams are an option in Liverpool: – Ask for details before booking.
- Y0u’ll need a good wi-fi connection and a desktop computer.
The course format:
Week 1: What is wine; how grapes grow; where grapes grow; making wine; types of wine; principal grape varieties (plus an experiement or two)
Week 2: Introduction to wine tasting; understanding the SAT; Storage and service of wine (plus an experiement or two)
Week 3: Pairing wine and food (activity); high and low risk wines; understanding the five main food tastes; pairing recommendations
Week 4: – Mock exam questions; catch-up / review on subjects as required; the exam explained; a final wine tasting; any questions
For more details on the course, the exams, and the sample wines, click to read the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines qualification specification
The next course dates:
Dates are being added all the time – sometimes bespoke to respond to a flurry of interest. I can arrrange bespoke courses for groups and businesses.
See the dates here
How much does it cost?
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines – Online Zoom course with an online exam is £145. It is £125 for a classroom exam.
Do you need any qualifications?
There are no entry requirements. You must be 18 to take part in the winetasting; but if you are underage that does not stop you taking part in the theory sessions and sitting the examination. Our classes are delivered in English.
What to do next
Ask any questions before you make a booking – contact us here for more details
Terms and Conditions
Please read the terms and conditions before booking.