This WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Zoom course is an interactive way to learn the basics of wine with One Foot in the Grapes … and you’ll work towards a qualification too!
The course is suitable for both wine enthusiasts and people in the hospitality industry wanting to enhance their skills.
Jane Clare (pictured) of One Foot in the Grapes (OFITG) or educator Mike Turner of Feel Good Grapes will deliver the WSET Level 1 – Online Zoom course in real time. You can join from anywhere in the UK.
You’ll be able to ask questions and interact with fellow students; and hopefully have fun as you immerse yourself in the world of wine for the first time.
- In advance of the course, you’ll receive a Level 1 study guide
- OFITG will send an “experiments” pack which you’ll use during the course
- You don’t need to taste wine to study this course. However there are recommended styles of wine we will taste over the four weeks.
- You would source the wines, with guidance from OFITG
- You’ll buy small food samples such as grapes, salt, lemon, sweet biscuits and chilli-flavoured snacks
- The online Zoom course takes place over four consecutive weeks in around two-hour sessions
- The multiple-choice exam will take place online on a date agreed in advance of the course.
- Here’s a short video explaining how online exams work.
- Classroom exams are only an option in Liverpool: – Ask for details before booking.
- You’ll need a good wi-fi connection and a desktop computer.
The course format:
Week 1: What is wine; how grapes grow; where grapes grow; making wine; types of wine; principal grape varieties (plus an experiment or two)
Week 2: Introduction to wine tasting; understanding the SAT; Storage and service of wine (plus an experiment or two)
Week 3: Pairing wine and food (activity); high and low risk wines; understanding the five main food tastes; pairing recommendations
Week 4: – Mock exam questions; catch-up / review on subjects as required; the exam explained; a final wine tasting; any questions
Read the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines qualification specification
The next course dates:
How much does it cost?
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines – Online Zoom course with an online exam is £145. It is £126 for a classroom exam *Liverpool only*.
Do you need any qualifications?
There are no entry requirements. You must be 18 to take part in the winetasting; but if you are underage that does not stop you taking part in the theory sessions and sitting the examination. Our classes are delivered in English.
What to do next
Ask any questions before you make a booking – contact us here for more details
Terms and Conditions
Please read the terms and conditions before booking.